•   Changes to Residential Tenancy Act BC - Bolld Real Estate Management

    Our Blog

    Bolld Real Estate ManagementBlogFor OwnersChanges to Residential Tenancy Act BC

    Changes to Residential Tenancy Act BC

    06 Dec
    Leo Chrenko December 6, 2017 0
    Spread the love

    On October 26, 2017, the B.C. government introduced changes to the Residential Tenancy Act related to the use of vacating clause in a fixed term residential tenancy agreement. It is a clause that requires the tenants to move out or sign a new lease at the end of a fixed term tenancy.

    The landlords will be no longer able to include the vacate clause in a fixed term tenancy agreement unless the tenancy agreement is entered into under certain circumstances.

    The change is meant to give the tenants more security when entering into tenancy agreements.

    This change applies to existing and new tenancies.

    What kind of circumstances allows the landlord to use the vacate clause?

    It might be used for situations where the landlord goes away for a specific time and is planning to return on a specific date. An example would be someone going for a 1-year work assignment.

    What does it mean for the landlord?

    what does it mean for the landlord

    All existing tenancies will automatically switch to month to month tenancies after the expiry of the fixed term.

    The tenant will be required to serve a one month notice if he or she is intending to vacate on the date of the end of the fixed term tenancy.

    Can a landlord still increase the rent?

    can a landlord still increase rent

    Yes. The tenants must be served a 3 months notice of rent increase and the maximum increase is governed by the allowable rent increase, set to 4% for 2018.

    How do we end the tenancy?

    A landlord will have available all options previously available.


    Mutual agreement to end the tenancy

    10 days notice to end tenancy for unpaid rent or utilities

    One month notice to end the tenancy for cause

    Two months notice to end the tenancy for landlord’s use

    What does it mean for the tenant?

    what does it mean for the tenant

    You will no longer be required to vacate your home even if you signed a fixed term tenancy requiring you to vacate the property at the end.

    There is couple of exception where the owner was planning to move back to the property after temporary leave or the landlord has found a new tenant and entered into a new tenancy.

    The landlord will be still able to increase your rent as per requirements described above.

    Please contact us if you have any question via email at info@bolld.ca or at 855-266-8588.

    Source: Residential Tenancy Branch BC https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/housing-tenancy/residential-tenancies/news

    Rate This Post

    What do we do and how much do we charge?

    The short answer is that we take care of everything and our service is all inclusive. Straightforward fees, no surprises.

    Just enter your name and email and you will receive the details shortly.

    Get A Quote Now!

    Need help? Schedule a FREE consultation NOW!

    Please enter your first name and email below. You will receive the overview of our services and a link to schedule your FREE consultation!

    Thank you! Please check your inbox. You should receive an email to schedule your FREE consultation shortly. If you do not see the email in your inbox, please check your spam folder.


    6 or more characters, letters and numbers

    6 or more characters, letters and numbers

    6 or more characters, letters and numbers. Must contain at least one number.

    The two passwords don't match.

    Invaild email address.

    Select the type of account.

    Already have an account?